Note: While this blog does it's best to lay things out in layman's terms, it still requires a small amount of prior music theory knowledge. If you find yourself over your head, try out a few helpful sites:

* A quick refresher of basic concepts here.
* A better organized source that goes more in-depth here.

Sunday, May 30, 2010

What I'm Working Towards

Here’s an in-depth analysis of Grizzly Bear’s “Ready, Able” from their album VeckatimestThe analysis does things like key, meter, and phrasing, and shows what sets Grizzly Bear's style apart.  They have an example of the recording (unfortunately not the score), and try to explain broader concepts that may be unclear to some readers.

It's difficult to do the dance between writing for others and writing for theorists.  However, I'm afraid I may not reach many theorists out here, at the edge of the interwebs, so I'll do my best to keep things academic while at the same time understandable.

If you couldn't tell by my writing style, it's mostly what I do anyways.

Anyways, please enjoy the link!  Fix Your Mix also has an analysis of Beyonce’s “Single Ladies” on the site, if that’s more your bag.

No comments:

Post a Comment